Friday, December 25, 2009

They Watch While You Sleep

Today, Justin and I went to Fresno to visit my parents for Christmas. Upon our arrival we were presented with a late engagement party gift. The gift was a basket filled with all kinds of assorted goodies. Included were some kitchen towels, some wine glasses, a nice bottle of wine and two strange items that were wrapped in the kitchen towels. I picked up one of the items and immediately felt something ceramic. "What could this be?" I thought. Well, I might have been better off not opening the kitchen towel. What I discovered on the inside, was a very bald ceramic baby doll. "Dear God, what the hell is this?" I then opened the other wrapped towel to find, yet another bald ceramic baby doll, only this time the doll had a flower in her "hair". At this time, I carry the dolls out to my parents, who then explain that these dolls are special. They have been passed back and forth between their friends for years and only brought out, when they have almost been forgotten. Their creepy eyes only seeing the light of day for a brief moment, only to be put into a closet until the next time they are passed along. I guess Justin and I have officially been wrapped in to the "cool crowd" as the dolls are now in our possession. What the gift giver doesnt know, is that I happen to have a large collection of dolls that Justin's grandmother just LOVES to give me. I mentioned to her once that as a kid I collected dolls, and now I get to pick one of her dolls out of her collection every time I visit their house. Lucky me! All I have to say is that the gift giver, may or may not receive them back at some future point in time when they least expect them. Until then, these new awkward dolls will not have to bury their bald little heads and eyes in closet in the dark. I may in fact display them in the guest room with all of my other dolls that I have recently acquired. Looks like whoever sleeps in the guest room will have a couple extra sets of eyes staring at them as they sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment